Hawick and the Hornshole Monument

Hawick and the Hornshole Monument
Tradition tells us that every man from Hawick between the ages of 16 and 60 was lost at the Battle of Flodden. The following year a raiding band of English soldiers had been sent out to ravage what was left of the (Scottish) Border.

A group from Hexham Priory camped overnight at Hornshole, near Hawick, where they were challenged and defeated by a group of Hawick Callants, who stole their pennon (flag) and returned to the town victorious.

Ever since then a replica of this flag has been carried by a young unmarried male (the Cornet) during the annual Common Riding celebrations.
Post code for satnav
Grid Reference
Opening Times
Open acccess.
Information boards on site.

Local facilities: Hawick is two miles from the monument.
Limited roadside parking - please park sensibly.
To Hornshole monument. This is situated approximately two miles from Hawick Town Centre just off the A698 onto an unclassified road. From Hawick take the A698 and turn left after Linden Lodge. From Denholm turn right after Riverside Caravan Park.
In 1514 a skirmish took place at Hornshole, a few miles out of Hawick, when English soldiers were pillaging the area which was still recovering from the disaster of Flodden. Local youth (most of Hawick’s men were killed at Flodden) rode out from the town, fought the soldiers and won, something which is still celebrated in Hawick every year through various ceremonies during the Common Riding. Today this Ecomuseum site is marked by a memorial near the bridge.


  • File Description
    File Size
    File Type
  • Hawick - Ecomuseum Leaflet
    214 KB


Swap Start/End